[CMake] Problems compiling cmake cvs on win32

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Jan 26 12:05:44 EST 2006

Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> I've some problems compiling cmake cvs with vs2005 express.
> I have installed PSDK (odbc32.lib is in PSDK MDAC package)

CMake should support building other projects with this compiler but the
source of CMake itself has not yet been updated to support building with it.

> now it compiles fine but stops after a while because I don't have afx.h... I
> wonder why I need afx.h for a platform independent project and find out that
> you need it for CMakeSetup.exe... but I don't have mfc installed (and I
> can't install it nor do I want).

The current main CMake GUI distributed in the binary release is an MFC
GUI, but CMake can be used without it.  There is full command-line
support.  There is a wxWidgets-based GUI under development.  You can try
building that by installing wxWidgets first.

> Also CMakeSetup.exe doesn't work for me
> because I can't put the path to cl.exe (and all the other things) into my
> global environment because I have more than one msvc compiler installed
> here.

You don't have to put it in your global environment, you just have to
have it in the environment from which CMakeSetup is executed if you want
to use the NMake generator (using the VS project generators does not
require having the compiler in your environment).  You can start the GUI
from a command-line-tools prompt with the environment for the compiler
you want to use.  This is the same command prompt from which you would
then run nmake.

 > btw: Do you support the msvc feature batched build and what about
 > precompiled headers?

There is no support to generate batch build configurations but you can
build the ALL_BUILD target to get everything to build in one step.  For
precompiled headers you have to add the proper flags to CMAKE_C_FLAGS
and CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS yourself.

-Brad