[CMake] Once again: Nasm/Yasm support.

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Jan 26 11:28:43 EST 2006

Rodrigo Madera wrote:
> I subscribed to this list because there is still no out-of-the-box
> support for assembly source code compilation (or I am astoundingly
> ignorant).
>
> 1) How can I do that for Nasm/Yasm support?
> 2) Is there any plan to do so on a release?
> 3) Since it's open source and all about sharing, how can I help to
> implement this? (if it's not too time consuming)

The real way to do this is to add assembly as a full-fledged language in
CMake.  See this thread:

http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2005-November/007478.html

Look in the CMake/Modules directory of the source tree for
CMake*CXX*.cmake files.  These are the files that configure rules for
building C++ targets.  There are similar sets of files for other
languages.  You need to create an equivalent set of CMake*ASM*.cmake
files with rules for using the assemblers.  Platform/assembler specific
details would be put in files in CMake/Modules/Platform.

We have no current plans to do this ourselves but would have no problem
accepting the contribution.  If you want to persue it please create a
feature request here:

http://www.cmake.org/Bug

and the discussion can continue there.

Thanks,