[CMake] MESSAGE SEND_ERROR and FATAL_ERROR

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Wed Jan 25 08:44:07 EST 2006

So then there would be no difference between SEND_ERROR and FATAL_ERROR?
What's the reasoning for this change?

I like the fact that SEND_ERROR allows you to signal an error, but to
complete the configure step to see if you hit any more errors... Then
you can fix them all at once and try again. If you do as you propose,
you'll have to fix things one at a time, leading to perhaps much longer
initial configure times (and number of iterations) for large projects.

I do agree that it's confusing that SEND_ERROR doesn't stop processing
the first time you encounter it as a cmake user. But like any other
quirk, you get used to it.

What would you think about having error "levels" or adding warnings and
warning levels, like compilers do?

David