[CMake] Some cmake comments/issues

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Jan 19 08:26:16 EST 2006

Ian.Appru at ubs.com wrote:

>The CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_SUFFIX is ignored on Windows by the Visual Studio generators - this is important when building Excel add-ins as they require the suffix .xll ..... in any case is it worth adding a bug report for this?

Definitely add a bug report; then attach your code changes that fix it
as a patch to the bug report.

>I've also noted that the CMAKE_DEBUG_POSTFIX setting is ignored by the unix makefile generator. I seem to recall this is a known issue for which clever use of variables will produce the desired result. But I would add my weight to the suggestion of a previous mailer that this is  a bug as I will now have to create different cmake implementations for windows and solaris/linux.

Mention this, too, in the same bug report. Clever use of variables
should not be required if there is a simple/straightforward/obvious
setting that CMake should be paying attention to... You should
definitely be able to have one cmake implementation that works for both
Windows and Linux.

>I couldn't see a way of getting the bootstrap script to carry out an out-of-source build or clean an existing cmake build - I need this as I have cross mounted solaris/linux drives - I made a few changes to the bootstrap script so that it builds to ./build/${cmake_system} by default. You may want to consider adding this.

The way to do an out of source build with bootstrap is to call bootstrap
from the desired binary directory, like so (assuming source is in ~/CMake):
mac:~ david$mkdir BootStrappedCMake
mac:~ david$cd BootStrappedCMake
mac:~/BootStrappedCMake david$~/CMake/bootstrap

Hope this helps,
David