[CMake] HowTo make another Dart client like CMake's ctest?

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Tue Feb 21 15:46:51 EST 2006

At 2/21/2006 02:40 PM, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>I would think that the Dart/CMake communities as a whole would be better
>off if your efforts went directly
>into ctest.  My preference would be for you to use ctest "straight up",
>and if you need new features,
>contribute them back to the project.  I think you may also be better off
>as ctest will keep up
>with changes in Dart, and continue be a supported package for the
>foreseeable future.
>You should figure out what your requirements are for your project, and see if
>they are compatible with ctest.

In the short term, yes (simply because it's quicker)  In the long term,
no.  I have had a require to embed this capability natively with my
software for quite a while now.  I don't want to have to lump in the
CMake/ctest apps/software/framework with every piece of software I
distribute, for a variety of reasons (non-tightly coupled functionality
tends to break, I don't want my average users messing with these utilities,
etc etc).

In short: I recommend making a library with headers and an API that we can
both use in our apps, rather then forcing everyone else to use ctest.  That
way people can integrate the client-side capability however they see
fit...AND the 3 different flavors of Dart clients that we have already can
all leverage the same module.

Yes, the base "library" may be not a Java-friendly thing without JNI; maybe
a separate Java .jar module can be made that can be a wrapper for this library?

For what it's worth, I'm facing the same challenge in delivering analagous
software capability to my users and partner intgrators.  There's no way I
can tell them all to "just use my cmdline client, you don't need to
integrate in with your own software."  That would dramatically reduce my
target market.

That's my $.02, albeit from a very ignorant position, for I have yet to
understand this project fully.  But given what I've seen thus far, I can
seem a much broader vision then forcing everyone to use ctest.

-Matt