[CMake] CMake CVS gratuitous /bin directory

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Sun Feb 19 09:30:01 EST 2006

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>> 1.) The error message is worded poorly.
>> 2.) The error is actually referring to the .dll, not the .lib and
>>     is due to a bug with trailing slashes in the install destination.
>> 3.) The .lib is mentioned even though it is not actually installed.
>>
>> I've fixed #1 and #2 in CVS which should be enough to install Chicken
>> properly.  Problem #3 will be fixed as part of more general changes
>> I'm making.
>>
> Now CMake CVS is generating additional libraries of the form
> "liblibname.dll.a".  It seems whatever you are doing for *.dll.a,
> doesn't have the liblib fix applied to it.  I am setting PREFIX to "".

When I got to that point in the code I wasn't sure of the proper design.
  The problem is that for SUFFIX it does not make sense to use the same
attribute for both the .dll and the .dll.a parts because the two files
cannot have the same extension.  For PREFIX it is okay to have the same
value for both files but on Cygwin for example the convention is "cyg"
for the .dll and "lib" for the .dll.a.

In order to be consistent for both PREFIX and SUFFIX and allow them to
be set separately for the DLL and the import library, I created new
properties IMPORT_PREFIX and IMPORT_SUFFIX.  I haven't updated the
documentation because these are part of incremental commits for a larger
set of changes.  You can set the target property IMPORT_PREFIX to ""
also to solve the problem.

-Brad