[CMake] COMPILE_FLAGS suggestion

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Feb 16 18:22:34 EST 2006

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Since you
> only implemented per-target flags recently, your perception is probably
> that it's uncommon.  Instead you're probably thinking that everyone
> makes *.h files and subdirectories.

In CMake's earliest days it was part of a project that had one library
per directory.  That is why things seem to be directory-based.  Recently
we've been trying to shift things to be target oriented instead of
directory oriented.  The entire new Makefile generator added in CMake
2.2 was written for this purpose.

As things become more target oriented the SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES command
will be used more frequently.  Eventually a nicer interface should be
available to set these properties but that interface will be determined
on a per-property basis.  I just don't want to jump the gun and add a
bunch of commands that turn out not to be the best interface and then
have to be supported for compatibility.  For now individual projects can
use macros to make things look like what they want.

-Brad