[CMake] cmake license question (Was: CMake Modules)

Jamie Jones hentai_yagi at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 31 08:09:01 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 03:55 -0700, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Jamie Jones wrote:
> >
> > I do see your point, but [...]
>
> > Do you believe that having GPL build scripts requires you to distribute
> > the source to the application ? If so you are quite mistaken. You only
> > need to distribute the source to the build scripts.
>
> Most commercial vendors aren't interested in any requirements that they
> have to distribute anything at all.  Nor are they interested in tracking
> their legal requirements for small snippets of code.  The upshot is such
> GPLed code simply won't get used, thereby defeating much of the purpose
> of open source.

No, in that case the GPL is working exactly as it should, if they choose
not to use it because they want to lock the source away, that is their
choice.

>   Now, maybe you can provide sufficient dual licensing
> assurances on your site to assuage the paranoia of all the managers out
> there who automatically think negatively of anything with the GPL on
> it.  Or maybe you can't.  Do your site, and we'll see if anyone uses it.

At the very least - I use it.

> > In the end, I think the only thing that we can agree on, is that we
> > agree to disagree.
> >

> Indeed.  The basic schism between GPL and BSD proponents, is the former
> are interested in using force to get their way, and the latter are
> interested in what will actually get adopted in commercial practice.

Well, I've  had a nice time debating with you, you obviously are biased
against the GPL, so I won't try to change your opinion on that. If you
see anything you like, feel free to use it under the New BSD terms. Who
knows, perhaps you might want to contribute some modules.

Regards,
Yagisan
--
Jamie Jones
Proprietor
Email: eyagi.consulting at gmail.com
Web: http://www.eyagiconsulting.com

GPG/PGP signed mail preferred. No HTML mail. No MS Word attachments
PGP Key ID 0x4B6E7209
Fingerprint E1FD 9D7E 6BB4 1BD4 AEB9 3091 0027 CEFA 4B6E 7209