[CMake] Using cmake under windows

Mon Aug 28 11:18:15 EDT 2006

Brad King wrote:
> Yann Renard wrote:
>> Brad King wrote:
>>> You need to run CMake from the same command prompt in which the
>>> environment is set.  From that same command prompt try:
>>>
>>> mkdir myproj-build
>>> cd myproj-build
>>> cmake c:/path/to/myproj -G"NMake Makefiles"
>>>
>>> Make sure you have a clean source tree in c:/path/to/myproj that does
>>> not contain any attempt to build the project in-source.
>> That is very close to what I did, however, this seems to work better.
>> The reason why this is working better is the option you add '-G"NMake
>> Makefiles"'.
>
> You may also run CMakeSetup from the same command prompt and then select
> NMake Makefiles from the dialog that asks you the first time you
> configure the project in an empty build tree.
>
>> Thus, I should be able to generate nmake makefiles, but no VC8
>> projects, right ?
>
> If you follow the instructions from my other response (the reference to
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk) then you
> should be able to do VC8 projects too.  Since the IDE has its own
> environment it is safe to start CMakeSetup from the start menu.
>
> You may have been getting confused by trying both NMake Makefiles and
> Visual Studio 8 generators in the same build tree.  Whichever you
> selected the first time was actually used from then on no matter how you
> started CMake or what options you gave.

Brad,

I have built the makefiles out of the source tree from the begining and
cleaned all these each time. However, I used 'cmake ..' as commandline
not specifying which kind of build to perform. cmake deduced the VC8
projects itself I guess. However, I will now try to play with my project
and 'nmake makefiles'. I will check and follow the pointed instructions
for VC8 projects later...

Thank you very much community,
Best regads,
Yann Renard