[CMake] Determining good GCC parameters

Philippe Poilbarbe Philippe.Poilbarbe at cls.fr
Tue Aug 22 10:55:53 EDT 2006

Antti S. Lankila a écrit :

> 1) how would I find out the version of GCC I'm running on?
>
> 2) how would I obtain precise knowledge about the host architecture
> I'm running on?
>
> 3) how would an user best configure the cmake build system to do a
> generic instead of native build?

Since CMake is a multi-platform general tool, we don't have to suppose
that GCC is used even with linux.
It is not the only one compiler (here we also use intel and pgi C and
fortran compilers).
So your question may be written this way:

1) Which compiler do I use
2) How would I find the version of the compiler I use
3) how would I obtain precise knowledge about the host architecture I'm
running on?
4) What are the valid options do generic or fully optimized builds (or
more generally
    how are specific options to do some special trick: warning level,
warning is error,
    source compatibility level...).
5) how would an user best configure the cmake build system to do a
generic instead of native build?

Philippe Poilbarbe.