[CMake] Re: OpenSceneGraph and CMake

E. Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 19:35:47 EDT 2006

> But that's OSG.  Says nothing about OpenThreads and Producer.  I'm
> saying, write a CMake script that installs OpenThreads and Producer in a
> way they're expected to be installed.  There's really no value in
> CMakeifying a build that the library maintainers themselves aren't going
> to support.  All your OSG users actually want is the convenience of a
> one-step approach.  A toplevel script that installs needed dependencies,
> then builds OSG based on the available dependencies, would do the job.
> So now you need only worry about CMakeifying OSG.

> Cheers,
> Brandon Van Every

There's an unusual relationship between OpenThreads, Producer, and
OSG. OSG is the primary user of the other two projects. I actually do
not know of other projects that use these two libraries. Furthermore,
Producer is written by one of the co-authors to OSG. OpenThreads was
created by somebody else, but I believe that the OSG authors
contributed a lot to it and it's now hosted on the OSG server.
Furthermore, the existing Make build systems look very similar to the
OSG build system and respond to similar environmental variable
conventions and tricks which I believe is no accident. I also know
that I am the provider of the Xcode projects for those other projects
and they were accepted into the main distribution, but I only went
through the OSG community, not directly to the others. So we are given
a lot of latitude with respect to CMake-ifying the other projects. We
probably could punt if we wanted, but I believe the expectation has
always been that we would port all 3 build systems. I believe the only
constraint is that we have is that people still need to be able to
build OpenThreads and Producer by themselves in case there are non-OSG
projects that use them.

Thanks,
-Eric