[CMake] ccmake and fortran

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Aug 14 22:56:07 EDT 2006

On 2006-08-14 22:15-0400 William A. Hoffman wrote:

> At 09:53 PM 8/14/2006, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>> An even easier solution (as proposed by Bill Hoffman) is for CMake to parse
>> fortran files ignoring all distinctions between fixed and free format (so
>> that any line starting with [cC*dD] is automatically skipped even though it
>> is not a comment for the free format).  That solution appeals to me (I like
>> simplicity), but I am a little uneasy with it because it might cause trouble
>> now (jury is still out on that because nobody has listed what kinds of
>> things CMake is currently trying to parse in the fortran file), and if CMake
>> expanded the list of what was parsed in the future, it might cause obscure
>> bugs down the road where key free-form lines are skipped because they are
>> incorrectly interpreted as comments. For that reason I prefer the definite
>> FORTRAN_FIXED_FORM scheme where it is difficult to go wrong unless the
>> developer is unaware of what fortran form he is dealing with (in which case
>> he will probably have non-CMake problems as well).
>
> I am for easy, and having to specify this is difficult for cmake developers and
> for cmake users.   The only thing cmake is parsing the files for is to create
> depend information, that is it.   I have not yet seen a case where the cC*dD starting a
> line would cause incorrect depend information and still be valid fortran code.

OK. That statement about the limited nature of the parsing is reassuring so
would somebody please commit the solution, i.e.,

<fixed_fmt>^[cC*dD].*\n { return EOSTMT; }

to:

^[cC*dD].*\n { return EOSTMT; }

that Bryan Walsh has already worked out?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
(lbproject.sf.net).