[CMake] "simple test program" does not consider LINK_DIRECTORIES

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 06:54:59 EDT 2006

William A. Hoffman wrote:

> CMake relys on a correctly installed compiler.   If you can create a simple project with the VS GUI,
> and it works, and CMake does not, then it is CMake's fault.  If you create the simple project with
> the VS IDE and it can not find key libraries from the SDK, then your compiler is not installed
> correctly.

Well, the console app wizard also choked on user32.lib.  I don't know
why the PSDK paths were not installed.  It wasn't anything I did.  This
leads me to believe it's something about my machine and the history of
what's been installed on it.  If I had the time, I'd try installing on a
virgin machine and see what happens.  But I don't.  I've also found it
very difficult to Google about this issue, whether it's a known
behavior, or a known installation bug.

> BTW, the professional versions of the compiler do install and ship with the SDK.

I have VS .NET 2003 Professional.  My E:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK directory only contains 75MB of stuff.
As you can see from
http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/psdk-full.htm
a proper PSDK is quite large.  It is typical for people to install a
"better" PSDK than what is shipped with VS.  The case use of VS by
itself is probably infrequent, so it wouldn't shock me if there are bugs
in how the PSDK is set up.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every