[CMake] msvc postfix conventions

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 16:55:29 EDT 2006

I'm trying to decide reasonable defaults for the various _POSTFIX
variables under msvc.  My guesses:
DEBUG_POSTFIX "d"
RELEASE_POSTFIX ""
MINSIZEREL_POSTFIX "?"
RELWITHDEBINFO_POSTFIX "?"

The conventions are eluding my Google searches.  For all I know there
may not be many conventions, as keeping debug and release builds in
different directories is a common practice.

I have often seen "s" used for static builds.

The msvc libraries such as msvcrt.lib have some conventions:
"t" = multithreaded, dynamic link
"mt" = multithreaded, static link
"p" = Standard C++ Library

Another question is when combining these 1-or-2-letter postfixes, is if
they are combined in any particular order.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every