[CMake] Automatic visual studio project file inclusion

Manuel Klimek klimek at box4.net
Wed Apr 26 08:13:01 EDT 2006

Hi,

A little feature request. I don't know if this is
allready possible, therefor I post to the list first.
Should I file a feature request?

It would be nice to have an option to
automatically include all vs project files
to a solution if a target depends on any
target in the project file, adding all
dependencies automatically.
Example:
lib/a/
ADD_LIBRARY(a ...)

lib/b/
ADD_LIBRARY(b ...)
TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(b a)

lib/c/
ADD_LIBRARY(c ...)
TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(c b)

projects/x
ADD_EXECUTABLE(x)
TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(x c)
now this option would generate:
INCLUDE_EXTERNAL_MSPROJECT( a ${a_BINARY_DIR}/a.vcproj )
INCLUDE_EXTERNAL_MSPROJECT( b ${b_BINARY_DIR}/b.vcproj a)
INCLUDE_EXTERNAL_MSPROJECT( c ${c_BINARY_DIR}/c.vcproj b)
ADD_DEPENDENCIES(x c)

the above is a lot to maintain if you have many
projects building on the same base libraries and some
library dependencies change...

Greetings,
Manuel