[CMake] autoconf: Does it meet these cross-platform goals?

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Mon Apr 3 09:20:44 EDT 2006

At 06:12 PM 4/2/2006, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

>Do .msi-like installation packages do the work that of Debian's apt in that said system will automatically download missing library dependencies?  I highly doubt it.
>No.  CMake is not a package management system.  I don't see any reasonable way that it could do that cross-platform.  Consider how many package management systems are available on Linux alone!

Well, CMake does not, but there is a new tool that will be part of CMake called CPack.
It will work much like CMake, in that it will have generators for various native packaging tools.
It will be a beta release in CMake 2.4.   Currently, it can create nullsoft windows installers,
tar.gz files, and self extracting tar.gz files.

-Bill