[CMake] problems submitting nightly build with ctest for debug/release

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Tue Oct 4 10:04:27 EDT 2005

What you are trying to do seems logical to me. I'm not sure why it
doesn't work actually - I'll let one of the CMake devs chime in to see
if they have any comments or advice.

Configure:
If it were going to work, I don't think you need two configure steps...
Both Release and Debug should be configured for a DevStudio build at the
same time.

Test:
It makes sense (to me) to only allow one configuration to be tested for
dashboard submission. The tests are named the same for Debug and
Release, so how would you distinguish which was which if they were both
submitted to the same dashboard? (This and the fact that there's only
one "Testing/Temporary" folder per binary tree, so test output from one
config would clobber test output from the other.)

Build:
In the meantime, however, just for Windows, I can recommend a way that
at least gets both Release and Debug *built* for you.

Set your build command to:
"devenv.com CMake.sln /build Release /project ALL_BUILD & devenv.com
CMake.sln /build Debug /project ALL_BUILD"

Then you can always use "ctest -C Release" or "ctest -C Debug" from the
command line to test the individual builds even though you can't submit
them both to the same dashboard...

On the other hand, why do you need to keep both in the same binary tree?
The vast majority of space consumed by the builds should be
approximately the same whether they are both built in the same tree or
whether you run two separate trees... Having two binary trees would
allow you to do things "the normal way." The only difference is you'll
have two dashboard entries that you have to look at.

Hope this helps,
David