[CMake] kdevelop3 generator broke

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Fri Mar 11 03:32:18 EST 2005

> > Actually, I recently moved all of the code from the local to the
global
> > generator, and did not remove the local generator.   If things are
> > working, it can be removed
> > now.  The original version had all the code in the local gen.
> >
> > -Bill
>
> Ok, after a quick check it seems to work now and the
> LocalKdevelopGenerator can be removed (trivial patch attached).
> I'll give it more testing tomorrow.

So here come some first impressions for the new Makefile generator, most
important first:

1) some internal generated variables have been renamed:
${target_NAME}_SRC_OBJS was renamed to ${target_NAME}_OBJECTS
Was this necessary ? I know this is internal, but it broke my build. Now
I have to check which one of both exists. I have a custom rule to link my
objects together (for an embedded target):

ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND(
   TARGET ${_exe_NAME}
   PRE_LINK
   COMMAND ${CMAKE_C_COMPILER}
      ARGS -o foo $\(foo_OBJECTS\) -nostdlib  -nostartfiles
     -Lecos/install/lib -Ttarget.ld -mcpu=xscale
   )

and the main target being
ADD_LIBRARY(foolib static ${foo_SRCS})

So everytime this lib is built my actual target is also linked. Is there
a way to change the "normal" link command so that it looks like my custom
command, so that I don't have to build this dummy static lib ?

2) "Scanning dependancies" for each file is quite slow. Do you plan to
optimize it ?

3) After editing one of my included cmake-files cmake again scanned
dependancies for all objects files and built them *all* again, although I
changed only my custom rule to link them all together in the end.

4) cmake now generates a subdir where it puts stuff and the Makefile is
split into many small files. Which are the advantages of this approach ?
The many included files in the Makefile don't make it easier to read.

Bye
Alex

P.S. yesterday I tried the new XCode generator the first time and it
worked. Very cool :-)

--
DSL Komplett von GMX +++ Supergünstig und stressfrei einsteigen!
AKTION "Kein Einrichtungspreis" nutzen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl