[CMake] XML CMake ?

Kent Williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Mon Feb 28 09:29:19 EST 2005

 From a user standpoint I vastly prefer CMake syntax over XML. CMake
syntax is human readable, and XML is human readable but not pleasant to
read.

Where CMakeLists.txt files get hard to read, it's usually because the
person writing them is in a hurry, and doesn't take the time to make
them easy to read.  Or they don't arrive at an elegant, readable
solution for the configuration problem before they find an ugly solution
that works.  Either way, I think its a mistake to spend a lot of time
engineering your application code, and little time engineering your
build system. Config and build problems are very relevant to
maintainability.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the only advantage to XML over any
other syntax is that you don't have to write a parser, and there's a
built-up culture of applications for it.  That's great, as far as it
goes, but if you're afraid of writing a parser, in my arrogant opinion,
you're not a real programmer.

That last bit is meant to be humorous, if that doesn't come through.
I've sworn off emoticons for Lent.