[CMake] OS X Framework testing

Chris Scharver scharver at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 21:04:12 EST 2005

On 12/28/05, E. Wing <ewmailing at gmail.com> wrote:
> On a semi-related note, I noticed the FindOpenGL.cmake module is
> causing me problems now. It seems the FindX11.cmake script it invokes
> explicitly sets -lSM -lICE.  OS X has these, but they are located in
> /usr/X11/lib, and for whatever reason my OS X doesn't seem to have
> those in the default search path so an explicit -L will be needed. It
> turns out that the thing that invokes FindX11 in the OpenGL script
> should not generally be invoked for OS X, so the problem can be
> side-stepped in this case. But both of these should be fixed at some
> point. But I'm wondering as a general CMake guideline if direct
> invocations of libraries (e.g. -framework Cocoa, -lICE) should
> discouraged and removed from the CMake module base.

Removing these automatic strings would certainly clear some things up.
I routeinly switch between X11 and Cocoa builds of several libraries,
and because of the way things tie together, it's a real pain to enable
X11. (I made my own FindOpenGL to include a switch for using X11 on
Apple, but even that's a mess.) IMO, FindOpenGL should search for all
OpenGL implementations, and then programs can choose the appropriate
one as needed.

I hope to test some of the framework code next week. I'm still
catching up through the emails. ;)

Chris