[CMake] CMake Marketing

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 19:06:54 EST 2005

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

>>Von: Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com>

>>be the same idea as the marketing-python list found here:
>>
>>http://pythonology.com/pipermail/marketing-python/
>>
>>The first order of business will be to name the new list.
>>Currently, there are several ideas:
>>
>>promote at cmake.org
>>guerilla at cmake.org
>>marketing at cmake.org
>>
>>Are there any other ideas? If not, is there a preference for
>>one of these?
>>

>I'd vote for promo at cmake.org , this sounds friendly.

Does anyone else have the feeling that it connotes "cheesiness?"  I
don't know why, maybe it's just me.  Maybe it's because it's a shortened
word.  Makes me think of radio DJs and big sunglasses.

>"marketing" sounds IMO too much like selling something, and "querilla"
>has IMO a too negative touch (I don't wanna be a guerilla).

I agree that the word "marketing" has off-putting connotations to
Techies.  Often it makes them see red.  Although, for a marketing list,
we need people who don't feel that way, so I'm not sure it matters.  I
suppose it depends on who we're going to mobilize and what we imagine
they will actually get done.

I accept that you don't like "guerilla."  I was thinking a lot of
Techies would like being guerillas, but I hadn't considered that maybe
plenty of people wouldn't.

Cheers,
Brandon
When no one else sells courage, supply and demand take hold.