[CMake] MSYS and CMake placeholder

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 14:21:45 EST 2005

William A. Hoffman wrote:

>At 03:00 AM 12/10/2005, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>

>>- MSYS core developer philosophy is indeed minimal, and archives suggest they will adamantly oppose anyone's attempt to turn it into another Cygwin.  However, the main purpose of MSYS is to run the GNU autoconf toolchain.  Since CMake's purpose is to provide something autoconf-like that is truly cross-platform, it may be strategically valuable to court these guys and get them to endorse first class CMake support.
>>

>I think CMake and MSYS do play together well.   If you run CMakeSetup from the command line
>of an MSYS prompt and select Unix Makefiles, then things work as expected.  Makefiles are
>created with the MSYS compiler tool chain, and you run make from MSYS to build.  The resulting
>executable is a native windows executable which is the goal of MSYS.

For the moment I'm inclined to concur.  I'm still in the middle of a lot
of Chicken field testing however, and we haven't ironed out all points
yet.  In time, I'll have better clarity on whether there are rough edges
on MSYS that need addressing.

>Building an MSYS executable
>would be making it more like another cygwin which they do not want.

Here, we're talking about linking msys-1.0.dll into ccmake.exe, not into
user apps in general.  I would note that politically, the goal should be
more about what CMake wants.  I will suspend judgement on this point,
until I'm sure of what my MSYS troubles are, if any.  Maybe it's the
MinGW crowd who's more into packaging everything.  Maybe the goal should
be to get a standard Windows CMake distributed in the MinGW packages.
But I really think, in general, the goal should be to get CMake
disseminated in the same places as GNU Autoconf, by the same
transmission vectors.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur