[CMake] impossible to order the linker search path

Philip Batchelor philip.batchelor at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 2 09:37:54 EST 2005

William A. Hoffman wrote:

>At 08:36 AM 12/2/2005, Philip Batchelor wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>I am trying to install a vtk-5 (from cvs), on a freshly built gentoo linux machine. It compiles without wrapping,
>>but when I toggle Python wrapping in CMake, cmake fails with this message:
>>
>>'It is impossible to order the linker search path in such a way that libraries specified as full paths will be
>>picked by the linker.
>>Directories and libraries involved are:
>>Directory: /usr/X11R6/lib contains:
>>Library: /usr/lib/libutil.so
>>Library: /usr/lib/python2.4/config/libpython2.4.a'
>>
>>The only mention I could see in Google is in a bug tracker from vtk
>>http://www.vtk.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=2179&pos=19
>>but I don't see what the solution is meant to be, and the problem seems to be from cmake.
>>
>>Has anyone got a suggestion for diagnostic?
>>

>This should just be a warning, although you may not get the libraries you specified.
>Does it build anyway?

Indeed, you're right, it did compile, I didn't realise it was a
warning-silly me. I used to have similar messages
about openGL libraries.

>The problem is you have given full paths to the libraries:
>

>>/usr/lib/libutil.so, and /usr/lib/python2.4/config/libpython2.4.a'
>>

>However, one or both of those libraries is also in /usr/X11R6/lib.
>My guess is that libutil.so is in both /usr/lib/libutil.so and
>/usr/X11R6/lib.   Does this library show up in your CMakeCache.txt?

'find /usr -name libutil.so -print' returns only '/usr/lib/libutil.so'
(there used to be a static libutil.a, but I had removed it).
this is what was puzzling me all along.
'grep libutil CMakeCache.txt' returns
'PYTHON_UTIL_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/usr/lib/libutil.so'
puzzling, I guess my problem is one foot into the vtk mailing list, but
as it seems to have compiled anyway,
thanks! and crossed fingers...