[CMake] Re: ADD_CUSTOM_TARGET not behaving as advertized?

Chris Green chissg at comcast.net
Wed Aug 3 15:44:24 EDT 2005

> Read the documentation for ADD_DEPENDENCIES.  It is meant for use only
> between top-level targets (added with ADD_LIBRARY, ADD_EXECUTABLE, or
> ADD_CUSTOM_TARGET).

OK, thanks for the clarification. I had read the ADD_DEPENDENCIES
documentation, but I'd read it in a slightly different way, viz:

"This is only used to add dependencies between targets that cannot be
inferred from *eg* the library / executable links that are specified."

... *eg* added to emphasize the meaning I read into it. My reading was
also more natural given my prior experience of raw Make. I would suggest
future documentation remove this perceived ambiguity, perhaps with wording
like:

"This is only used to add dependencies between library / executable
targets that cannot be inferred from links specified via the normal
means. This cannot be used to add dependencies to a custom target: those
should be specified at the time the custom target is created."

Having said that, please consider this a feature request: it would
certainly be nice to be able to use ADD_DEPENDENCIES to do exactly what
my clarified wording above says you can't right now.

Thanks for pointing out my misunderstanding,
Chris.

Chris Green, MiniBooNE / LANL. Email greenc at fnal.gov
Tel: (630) 840-2167. Fax: (630) 840-3867