[CMake] Re: Out of source build and KDevelop

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Tue Oct 19 16:14:38 EDT 2004

Hi,

> Basically, to conform to the design of CMake, this should be done
> in the global generator. There is nothing really local going on at all
> here.   With my global generator changes you will still get a project
> for each sub project.  They will be in slight different places but will
> be consistent with what cmake does with visual studio.
>
> I think it should look like this:
>
> /CMake.kdevelop
> /CMake.kdevelop.filelist
> /Source/CTest/Curl/LIBCURL.kdevelop
> /Source/CTest/Curl/LIBCURL.kdevelop.filelist
> /Source/CursesDialog/form/CMAKE_FORM.kdevelop
> /Source/CursesDialog/form/CMAKE_FORM.kdevelop.filelist
> /Source/kwsys/cmsys.kdevelop
> /Source/kwsys/cmsys.kdevelop.filelist
> /Utilities/cmexpat/CMEXPAT.kdevelop
> /Utilities/cmexpat/CMEXPAT.kdevelop.filelist
>

> For each PROJECT(foo) command you get a project in kdevelop or visual
> studio. It should not be based on whether or not there is a target in
> the directory. I am doing this now for visual studio and it does what
> you want.  You can load sub-projects and not build the entire thing
> each time.  The project map directly to what the users specified in the
> CMakeLists.txt files.
>
> So, you might have to change your CMakeLists files to contain PROJECT()
> commands to force a sub project, but that is the way it should work.

That's no problem (you know, it's cmake, it's easy :-)
I thought PROJECT(whatever) should be specified only once in a cmake
directory hierarchy ? Doesn't it have any side effects ?
Is Project_SOURCE_DIR (and BINARY_DIR) then in all CMakeLists.txt the one
from the most top level CMakeLists.txt or always the one from the "most
local" CMakeLists.txt ?

Otherwise it doesn't matter in any way to me whether it's in the local or
the global generator (as long as it works as it does now), it's just that
I found my way into the local generator and did it there.

Bye
Alex

--
GMX ProMail mit bestem Virenschutz http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail