[Cmake] Debug /release

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 07:54:52 -0500

In makefile based systems the cmake via CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE controls the build type.
In the visual studio IDE projects, the IDE controls the build type.   There are
advantages and disadvantages to both approaches.   People have requested the sub-dirs
in the makefiles, and the removal of the subdirs in the IDE files.   At some point,
I suppose both options will be implemented.   For now, they are not.   If you do not
want subdirs with MS compilers, you have to use nmake, and in that case it will work
just like UNIX.   If you use the IDE, it follows the normal convention for the IDE.
CMake try's to generate the build files in the most native way possible, and for the
MS IDE the Debug,Release directories are used by that system.   The big advantage is
that you only have to configure the build once for both Debug and Release.

-Bill