[CMake] Using CMake for a library with many different build options...

Sun Dec 19 15:35:30 EST 2004

Hello all,

I am trying to find out if CMake is the right buildfile generation tool for
my open source "Lit Window Library" www.litwindow.com/library (see .sig).

Rather than requiring users to download CMake I would like to distribute
makefiles and Visual Studio Project files which I generate on my system. I'd
like to distribute the files at least for MS-Visual Studio. Linux users are
more used to CMake-like tools, but Visual Studio users are not.

My question is: The library has three different build parameters, debug vs.
release, static vs. dll and ansi vs. unicode build. Ideally I'd like CMake
to generate one Visual Studio Project file with 8 different configurations
for all the possible permutations: static debug ansi ... to ... dll release
unicode.

Is this possible somehow with CMake? Has anyone done something similar? Or
what would be your suggestions?

I'd be very grateful for any help/pointers.

Best regards

Hajo Kirchhoff

Lit Window Library - Speed up GUI coding 10x
  http://www.litwindow.com/library?src=ml

wxVisualSetup - integrate wxWidgets into Visual Studio .NET
  http://www.litwindow.com/Products/products.html?src=ml

BugLister - Defect Tracker
  http://www.litwindow.com/buglister?src=ml

Tips & Tricks for wxWidgets & MS Visual Studio
  http://www.litwindow.com/Knowhow/knowhow.html?src=ml