[Cmake] BUG with CMAKE_MINIMUM_REQUIRED ?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Aug 23 07:48:20 EDT 2004

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> is it intentional that CMAKE_MINIMUM_REQUIRED ignore the version patchlevel
> ?
> IOW I have have cmake 2.0.3 and CMAKE_MINIMUM_REQUIRED(VERSION 2.0.4)
> succeeds
> nevertheless.
> (CMAKE_MINIMUM_REQUIRED(VERSION 2.1) works as expected, it fails)

Yes and no.  When the command was originally written there was no such
thing as a patch release.  When patch releases were added we did not
update the command to support it.  The reason is that features are not
supposed to be added on patch levels, and the CMAKE_MINIMUM_REQUIRED
command is supposed to specify the minimum version providing the
features used by the project.

I do not see a reason not to add a patch level check because projects
might work only when a certain bug has been fixed in a patch level.
Please add this as a feature request in the bug tracker:

http://www.cmake.org/Bug

and you will be notified automatically of progress.

-Brad