[Cmake] CMakeLists.txt in ALL_BUILD

Brad King brad . king at kitware . com
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:11:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Nitin Gupta wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I am wondering whether we may have toplevel CMakeLists.txt
> 	as a part of sources in ALL_BUILD. Consider a case where
> 	the top level CMakeLists.txt of a big project contains only
> 	PROJECT and SUBDIR(dir1 dir2 ...) command. The dirs fruther
> 	contain submodules. CMakeSetp.exe is run only once and it
> 	configures	all the modules and submodules. Now there is
> 	only only one .dsw generated, the one at the toplevel. Since
> 	the toplevel CMakeLists.txt contain no targets it is not
> 	dislayed in the source view anywhere.Hence to do modifications
> 	at toplevel (say for addition of a new module) one has to edit
> 	is seperatetly from outside of VC++.
>
> 	I suggest addition of CMakeLists.txt in ALL_BUILD too. Atleast
> 	when there is no target in a CMakeLists.txt. I tried it by
> 	commenting *return* from void cmLocalVisualStudio6Generator::
> 	AddDSPBuildRule when *dspname* is "ALL_BUILD". The top-lev
> 	CMakeLists.txt shows up with ALL_BUILD.
>
> 	Hope this does not break anything else! Thoughts?

This is probably a good idea.  Please add it to the bug tracker as a
feature request:

  http://www . cmake . org/Bug

There is one minor problem, though.  Visual Studio 6 does not
detect/reload a .dsw file when it changes as it does for .dsp files.  If
re-running cmake on the whole project through this link causes a library
to be added or a dependency between .dsp files to change, that information
will not be reloaded until you manually close the project and re-open it.

-Brad