[Cmake] Re: [Dart] Configuration command, Symlinks in paths

Stefan Schmidt Stefan.Schmidt at sophia.inria.fr
Wed May 21 04:24:08 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 20 May 2003 15:19, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> I don't think you can count on this behavior.    It would really depend
> on the project.   There is no guarantee that all paths in the resulting
> makefiles will preserve symlinks.   Many of the commands in cmake will
> find the absolute path.  Future versions of cmake are not even
> guaranteed to keep this same behavior, as it was unintended in the fist
> place.

Why is it unintended?
I really need this feature! There are symlinks in my filesystem pointing to
automounted NFS paths, which are not the same on each machine. But as I want
to use the compiled binaries on multiple machines, the compilation needs to
keep the common symlink in the path (it's an absolut path, not a relative
one). Otherwise the rpath in the binaries would be wrong, and when compiling
ITK, for example, even the configuration files ITKConfig.cmake would be
wrong.

Stefan