[Cmake] RE: [Insight-developers] (ITK) Build Errors terminus. kitware -- W inXP-VC60, library rebuil ds

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Tue Mar 18 10:39:16 EST 2003

So this goes down as another bug in DevStudio?

Could CMake custom commands be used to force these "static" inter-library
dependencies to trigger? I have been bit by this many times.  Change some
code, rebuild a single target, do not see the change at runtime... all
because the code I changed was in a different target (library) then the one
I rebuilt. For instance, I could change something in DICOMParser, rebuild
IO, (not pay attention to the fact that it didn't rebuild), then jump over
to another application (in a different project) and relink my executable. I
would not expect CMake to make the connection between two different
DevStudio projects, so I do not mind jumping between two projects to build a
library and then build an application.  However, it would be nice if CMake
could protect me from myself where I modify something like DICOMParser but
only tell IO to rebuild.

Usually after I get bit by this I retrain myself to always build using
ALL_BUILD. But I make this pattern of mistakes every few months....