[Cmake] Cmake, a deployment question...

Bill Hoffman bill . hoffman at kitware . com
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:37:10 -0400

At 10:18 AM 7/25/2003, Nick Ton wrote:

>Hi Bill,
>
>Thanks for the response. Two follow-on questions then.
>1. If the deployed system is guaranteed to have the same:
>directory structure, os, and compiler - could I deploy
>using the generated Makefiles?

No, CMake is still used to generate depend information.
If a file is changed, then cmake will be re-run to compute
the depend information.

>2. If the deployed system is not guaranteed to have the same
>directory structure, and compiler, but has the same os -
>could the end-user modify the generated Makefiles to their
>system?

I do not think that would be very easy to do, as the makefiles are
large and not very human readable.

CMake is really required on the machine where the build is being done.
You could create your CMakeLists.txt files so that there are no
user configurable options.   Then have people install cmake,
and run cmake without the GUI to generate the files, but they
really need to have cmake installed.

-Bill