AW: [Cmake] CMake-1.4.5: intermediate files directory (Borland Makefiles)

Stefan Kowski stefan.kowski at gmx.de
Tue Oct 22 10:37:41 EDT 2002

Hi,

> If you are using a command line make, how would you specify what you
wanted to build?
> make Debug?

Yes, exactly :-)!

When I build a target, I want to specify the target (the library or
executable) and a configuration (i.e. compiler flags and #defines). The
Debug and Release configurations are the most simple ones, but often I need
additional #defines for some file groups (my 'problem' is that I use most of
the code on multiple platforms [C++ Builder, Visual C++ und gcc on Linux])
and I have platform-dependend file groups (same interface, multiple
implementations).

The IDE of MSVC is too error-prone in specifying different configurations
(and I do not have it to compile on Linux), so I write most makefiles by
hand. Therefore I am looking for a better build system that can handle
multiple configurations/platforms to avoid accidentially mixing up
configurations.

My Makefile solution is to define an intermediate directory (depending on
the configuration) and cd into it. I do not know if this is an option for
CMake.

Stefan