[Cmake] VXL - CMake - NMAKE problem with hyphens in filenames/variables/m acros

Wheeler, Fred (CRD) wheeler at crd.ge.com
Thu Mar 14 13:04:21 EST 2002

I'm trying to build VXL under windows 2000 using the cmake-produced nmakefiles.  I'm coming across
what seems to be a fundamental problem.  Some VXL source files have hyphens, and cmake generates
nmakefile variables based on these filenames that have hyphens, but nmake chokes when a makefile
variable (macro) has a hyphen.

Others must have run into this same problem.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

I've seen the problem with both CMake 1.2 and today's CVS source.  I am using nmake 6.00.8168.0,
which came from ms studio 6.0 with service pack 5.

Here is the output error message from "nmake":

Building default_target in directory C:/local/sr/vxl_bld/v3p/netlib/tests
makefile(75) : fatal error U1001: syntax error : illegal character '-' in macro
Stop.

Here are the relevant lines from the nmakefile

(lines 74,75 of v3p/netlib/tests/Makefile)
netlib_lbfgs-example_SRC_OBJS = \                     <--- problem hyphen here
lbfgs-example$(CMAKE_OBJECT_FILE_SUFFIX)

Thanks,
Fred Wheeler

--
Fred Wheeler, GE CRD, KWC-303
Phone: 518-387-7225 (GE Internal Dialcom: 8*833-7225)