[Cmake] Determining host compiler/OS from CMake

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Feb 28 11:53:34 EST 2002

Short answer: No, currently there is not.

Longer answer:

The ADD_DEFINITIONS command is a bit of a loop hole that I am thinking about plugging.
I am currently adding support for ms .NET and it does not take
command line options like -D, but rather has XML an encoding of the
various command line options for the compiler.   So,
I am thinking of deprecating the ADD_DEFINITIONS command, for

ADD_COMPILER_DEFINITION(DEFINE [VALUE])

Perhaps I could also add a
ADD_COMPILER_FLAG() but it would be very non-portable as some compilers
do not even take flags.

Also, currently in cmake there is no way to do per-file flags, only per
directory.   So, if you want to set a flag, you can do it for the whole
system when you run cmake.   If you want a per-file flag, it can not do
it anyway.

-Bill