[Cmake] Another gripe about CMake

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Dec 11 15:15:11 EST 2002

> We use gcc without /usr/lib/gcc-lib: it turns out that GCC does work
> just fine without that directory if you built it without shared libs and
> tell it not to use standard libs+headers. Since we're developing for an
> embedded platform, this is our actual situation.

Okay, I was not aware of that.  Still, many programs will not run without
their PREFIX/lib directories.  We just happen to use PREFIX/share because
the modules are not platform-specific.

> I'm not sure if I understand what you mean when you say Cmake always
> needs the module directory to work: Ken said modules are optional, so in
> what way is the modules directory alays required no matter what?

The Modules and Templates directories also contain some platform
configuration code.  These platform-specific modules are automatically
loaded by CMake on each platform.  They are not the same kind of modules
that can be used with an INCLUDE command.

It may be possible to get CMake (optionally) down to a single directory
with only minor modification.  What is your intended directory structure?

-Brad