[Cmake] FW: [Vxl-maintainers] attempted post to the CMake list

Ian Scott ian.m.scott at stud.man.ac.uk
Wed Aug 21 12:11:01 EDT 2002

We have found a potentially very confusing problem in CMake - at least it
confused us for a good few hours.

If the path to your source (and or binary I guess) is
D:\C++\Lvxl\... it seems the + symbol messes up CMake producing lots of the
following errors
> cmRegularExpression::compile(): Nested *?+.
> cmRegularExpression::compile(): Error in compile.
> cmRegularExpression::find(): Compiled regular expression corrupted.

Other observations.
The errors don't occur when running CMakeSetup, but do occur when running
cmake, either to rebuild the whole binary tree or just to recompile a single
CMakeLists.txt file.

Having + and - in individual filenames isn't a problem since all of VXL
contains lots of files like this in the Templates directories.

Short of fixing the problem, perhaps a check could be put in CMake to see if
a source or binary path does contain a +, and warn the user. The errors
produced were certainly not very helpful in diagnosing the error.

Ian.