[Cmake] Autological Makefiles (+ VTK new build is *slow*)

Sebastien BARRE sebastien at barre.nom.fr
Tue Jun 5 05:01:15 EDT 2001

At 04/06/2001 22:30, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>I am not building with tcl or any of the wrapped stuff, perhaps it is the
>custom commands that
>slow things down.
>
>Here is a run with no wrapping:
>$ time msdev VTK.dsw /MAKE "ALL_BUILD - Win32 Release"
>--------------------Configuration: ALL_BUILD - Win32
>Release--------------------
>Performing Custom Build Step on ALL_BUILD
>"Build all projects"
>ALL_BUILD - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
>real    0m10.064s
>user    0m0.020s
>sys     0m0.030s

real    0m14.371s
user    0m0.010s
sys     0m0.020s

better, heh...

>Here is a run with TCL wrapping:
>$ time msdev VTK.dsw /MAKE "ALL_BUILD - Win32 Release"
>--------------------Configuration: ALL_BUILD - Win32
>Release--------------------
>Performing Custom Build Step on ALL_BUILD
>"Build all projects"
>ALL_BUILD - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
>real    0m24.105s
>user    0m0.010s
>sys     0m0.010s

real    0m41.189s
user    0m0.020s
sys     0m0.000s

+ 30 s. !

and with Python, you know the timings, that is an additional 30 s.

>>real    1m12.484s
>>user    0m0.030s
>>sys     0m0.020s

>The depends seem  to be stored in the build directories in vc60.idb files.
>This file seems to get updated with the command line build.

Yes, you are right.
But the old tree starts so fast when the deps are included in the nmakefile
(I guess they were, werent' they). I must find why my new tree build is so
slow :(

>Note, that if I do not use the ALL_BUILD target things are much quicker.
>Perhaps the trick to building from emacs, is to build the library you are
>changing.

This is fun, because the organization of the tree was made to remove
dependencies, make our lives easy, and speed-up things :) I'm just unlucky :))

>If you modify a file in vtkCommon, then just build vtkCommon.

Wow, I'll have to write a clever Emacs macro then :)

>Do you have python, java and tcl perhaps?

Python + Tcl. But see my timings above.

>If not, do you have the most current service pack for visual studio?

Ooops.
I just realized yesterday that there was a SP2 for Win2K, and now you make
me wonder... wow, there is a SP5 for VC++ too. I'm running SP4. I'll check
that this evening. Thanks