[Cmake] Autological Makefiles (+ VTK new build is *slow*)

Sebastien BARRE sebastien at barre.nom.fr
Mon Jun 4 18:21:24 EDT 2001

Hi Bill

At 04/06/2001 18:04, Bill Hoffman wrote:

>I am just not seeing anything like what you are seeing.
>Are other people seeing a 1 minute start up time for command line builds?
>I see perhaps a 4 second delay before it starts building from the command
>line.

Hum, that's a good news then, cause 4 seconds is OK to me. And I guess you
are not running something 15 times faster than a Athlon 800 Mhz :)

What command-line are you using *exactly* ? Inside Cygwin ? What priority ?

>What service pack of VC are you running?

SP4

>In one project here, there are about 150 dsp in the project.
>It loads in about 15 sec. on my machine.

which is ?

>When I ask it to build
>from scratch, it starts building if a few seconds.  The command line
>build takes about 10 secs to start.

OK, then there is either a problem on my side, or you are not using /FD.

>I am still a bit confused by your message.   You are saying that inside the
>IDE it is faster than from the command line.

No, I've proved in my previous email that it was the same :
         A1 : the whole VTK new tree projects load in 15 s.
         A2 : the first time a build is required, it takes around 50 s. to
compute the dependencies
         A3 : in the background, it takes around 120 s. to complete the
construction of the .ncb workspace file.

Thus, A1+A2 = around 60 s. , which is similar to the command line.
Afterwards the IDE is faster because the next time "Build" is called, A2 is
no more.

>Where is the info cached?

Good question. I'd say in either in some temporary files or (most probably)
right in memory : MSDEV uses around 60 Mo of RAM when the first build is
triggered.

>I can buy that each time a .cxx is compiled it re-does the depends for that
>file, but that is really what you should be doing.   I don't think that
>it does the depends on all the files for each load of msdev.  Is that what
>you think it does?

Yes, I think that it's what it does during these 60 s. But of course, if
you do not experience this delay, then I'm plain wrong :)