[Cmake] stripping repeated link directories and libraries from each makefile.

Ian Scott ian.m.scott at stud.man.ac.uk
Fri Jul 27 11:50:01 EDT 2001

> From: Bill Hoffman [mailto:bill.hoffman at kitware.com]
> 2.  A twice repeated list is not enough in some cases.
> In fact, to guarantee a static link, you have to repeat N libraries
> N times.   So, some list files may repeat libraries intentionally.

Actually I think it is worse than that in theory. If you have two libraries
A and B, with functions A1, A2, .. Am B1, B2, ...Bm and A1 depends on B1
which depends on A2, etc, you need to repeat the list m times.

In practice however, these problems almost never arise. For instance VXL is
designed with a guaranteed acyclic directed dependency graph for other
reasons. This means that it is only necessary to include each library once,
if you get the order right. Maybe I could put an option in, to turn
filtering on or off?

Ian.