[Cmake] Subdirectory dependencies

Amitha Perera perera at cs.rpi.edu
Tue Dec 11 15:00:16 EST 2001

> Developers can just run "make -i" if they really want to ignore errors.
> This should be used for dashboard builds anyway since a dashboard is
> supposed to report all errors.

I'm not convinced: "make -k" should be all that is necessary. With
proper dependency information, there is no point in proceeding further
once a unit has failed to compile, since it means the dependent units
must necessarily fail to compile. However, with the automatic SUBDIR,
you are asserting dependencies that may not exist in the code. A "make
-i" will only result in a whole bunch of unnecessary error messages. If
the cascading error is hard to pick out, then people will tend not to
examine and fix bugs, simply because of the number of error messages.

[ As an aside, and as I've posted before, I think CMake is in a position
to locate a number of these automatic dependencies via
LINK_DIRECTORIES, etc. This part of CMake is very much under
utilitized. ]

Amitha.