[CMake-Promote] simplified vs. fullblown languages

Andrew Manson g.real.ate at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 17:47:20 EST 2008

Hi,

I've just been following this list for any notice of the Cmake book
being out but i can't help but put in my own comment to this discussion:

Brandon Van Every wrote:
> I don't know if Premake offers compelling advantages for small
> projects, or if it's just perception along the lines of "I already
> know and like Lua or Python or whatever, so I want something that uses
> what I know."  That would make sense for a small project, because
> people are probably not feeling terribly committed to learning
> anything about build systems in order to keep their small projects
> going.
This is very true for small projects but it also raises a question for
people who are not familiar with any build system. I'm a college student
in a pretty good college ( over all ) but i have never been exposed to
any of the ideas behind a "good" build system. If you can convince
someone like me, being a blank canvas, with reasonable ease to use cmake
then you should be able to convince someone who is only looking to
maintain a small project. Neither of us know about cmake and need to be
thought about it from the bottom up, not comparing it to other build
systems. This is why i want the book, presuming that it can teach me
what i need to know. And i also think that this was the problem with the
maintainer who chose not to use cmake, he wanted something that was
built in a language that he knew instead of looking at the merits of
cmake for what it is ( which includes the simplicity of its syntax ). so
my thoughts would be to forget anything you know when looking at cmake
with the goal of learning it, and only compare it to any other system
when you are proficient enough to maintain a reasonable sized system
with it.

Just thought I'd add my 2c, sorry if I'm interrupting.
Andrew Manson

p.s. any word on the book? ;)