[CMake-Promote] Slides for seminar (Was: Cmake Book)

Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva miguelf at ieee.org
Mon Jan 14 17:57:19 EST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 6:28 PM, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> I have one of two advanced copies at my desk right now!  The rest of the
> books are currently on a boat heading towards Kitware.  We should be
> selling them by the end of the month (two weeks).  Thanks for your
> interest.  BTW, I will be talking about CMake at FOSDEM in Belgium next
> month: http://www.fosdem.org/2008/schedule/events/255

Bill, and others,

1. I would be interested in promoting CMake use at the University of
Puerto Rico - Mayaguez, where I teach. I would like to give a seminar
on cmake/ctest/cpack, but I can't find the time to prepare a nice set
of slides with a good tutorial/demo session. Is any material like that
available currently at kitware or elsewhere? I think these would make
good additions to the wiki to help spread the word.

2. Also, I am facing a problem here since there is a big Java
community... currently, many people here don't get exposed to C++ and
most programming courses are in Java. Now, I have my opinions of why
this is bad (not Java, but the lack of diversity), but I'm not
interested in a Java vs. anything flame war. What I want to know is if
there is a practical reason to use cmake/ctest/cpack for java based
apps.

I use cmake for exporting html from emacs/org-mode files... that is
not to say I would recommend someone to learn it just for this. So,
the same with Java... I'm not interested on all the cool things you
can do, but on whether is it reasonable to learn cmake for java
development or should they rather be told to learn to use eclipse and
ant...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
--Miguel