[CMake-Promote] CBorg

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 13:22:23 EST 2008

I'm contemplating a strategic plan over the next year, designed to
make me money as a CMake build consultant and spread the glory of
CMake.  Let's say for sake of argument I wrote an automated translator
from various build systems to CMake.  I have experience doing
automated translation from Autoconf and GMake, and I'd probably go
after SCons in order to knock them out as well.  Let's say further
that I created a website that slurps up open source projects, attempts
to automagically translate them, and posts the degree to which the
translation succeeds.  Some kind of glorified Dart2 server.  I'd
target leading open source projects and use them as guinea pigs.

What if I called this tool "CBorg," as in the Borg from Star Trek?
Let's say the website has messages like, "Resistance is futile, you
will be assimilated."  Would it be well received by techies?  Would it
make some techies mad, that they're being treated like subjects of the
Borg?  Would it create any inadvertent associations with Microsoft,
which is sometimes referred to as the Borg?  Would people's anger,
frustration, and gnashing of teeth actually be a good thing, causing
infamy to spread around the globe, whatever the heck it is about?  Is
the technical connotation of being "like the Borg" not really all that
exciting?  Are there other softwares that have tried this sort of Borg
identity and failed at it?

Can you think of a better brand identity for the technological project
I have in mind?

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every