[CMake-Promote] understanding the CMake build

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Sep 14 08:54:23 EDT 2006

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> But the steenkin' variables still aren't part of the core docs and
> this is embarrassing.  I haven't had time to deal with it; neither
> have you.

[ ... snip ... ]

> You are sensitive about this; I hope you channel that sensitivity into
> putting the variables into the standard docs.  ;-)

Variables, variables, variables. There *are* a ton of them aren't there...?

I just posted a script to the Wiki (along with some sample data that it
generated) that pulls all of the CMake variables reported by the
SystemInformation test from the CMake dashboards and spits it out in the
form of XML. It's then quite easy to open that XML in Excel, for
example, and have a look around at it.

It is my hope that the output from this script can be used as a good
starting point for documenting the CMake variables. It's good to have a
list of them all first, right...?

Check it out:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Useful_Variables (new Dashboard
Variables section - which links to ... )
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Useful_Variables/Get_Variables_From_CMake_Dashboards

Hope some of you out there find this useful / helpful,
David Cole