[CMake-Promote] recruiting people

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 12:44:08 EST 2005

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

>>Von: "Brandon J. Van Every" <bvanevery at gmail.com>
>>
>>I was randomly Googling around, actually trying to find out about web
>>statistics that might already track CMake, when I ran into someone's
>>list of tools on their homepage.  http://math.lbl.gov/~deschamp/  Since
>>they had made mention of CMake, to the point of having a
>>

>CMakeBanner.jpg
>

>>on their webpage, I thought I would e-mail this person and see if he
>>wanted to join CMake-Promote.  I think this is a drill that can be
>>readily repeated: Google around for people who are already listing
>>

>CMake
>

>>among their (presumably preferred) tools, and then contact them to see
>>what resources or energies they might have available.
>>

>This should be done by one person

That's not a reasonable way to proceed.  It denies us any multiplicative
scaling effect, and no one person has the time to do the entire job.
Just that one contact I tried to make took me 20 minutes of futzing,
because none of his e-mail addresses worked.  Multiply that out and
you'll see that no one person is going to get very far with this.  You
can probably measure it in "hours spent per successful recruit."

>or at least it has to be done
>coordinated. It would suck if the same person would receive several
>emails with the same topic from different people.

I'm not so sure it would suck.  My presumption is that we're sending
customized letters relevant to the individual's circumstances, not
spamming them with form letters.  If a person received 2 different
invites from 2 different people to the same mailing list, that just
strikes me as positive reinforcement.  Also, we don't all travel in the
same circles, so I think the actual odds of contacting the same people
is lower than one might guess.

For this problem, I think it is more important that we all do something,
rather than make rules about why we cannot do something.  If we were
actually recruiting a bunch of people, and double invites were being
complained about, then we'd know we actually had a problem and we could
adjust for it.  Needed adjustments might be far short of a MUTEX
coordination system, like just apologizing at the beginning of the
invite if it's redundant to someone else's.

Finally I don't think the alternative, which is keeping a mailng list of
people we've tried to contact, is preferrable.  Makes our behavior look
more like spamming, gives people a case of the privacy / security heebie
jeebies.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
Taking risk where others will not.