[CMake-Promote] generic INSTALL instructions

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 16:33:42 EST 2005

GNU Autoconf has that infamous INSTALL document, whose second line is
"These are generic installation instructions."  When preparing a "how to
build with CMake" document for Chicken Scheme, I realized that CMake has
no equivalent.  I believe it should.  One, it would actually be useful.
My doc for Chicken Scheme already has a few boring paragraphs on CMake,
and standard instructions for a standard tool would be preferrable.
Two, we are in competition with GNU Autoconf.  In terms of mindshare, it
would be good to have a CMake-Install.txt popping up in everyone's
projects.  If a standard doc were to become as expected and infamous as
the GNU Autoconf INSTALL, we'd be making real progress.  Third, a doc
with a standard name is something we can track.  Although of course, I
suppose we could be tracking CMakeLists.txt anyways.

Some of you might say, "This information is on the cmake.org website.
Why can't they look on the website?  It's a waste of archive space,
etc."  My answer is, first and foremost, people often aren't on the web
and need their instructions offline.  Second, people are lazy.  For a
hacker, the most easy-to-get place is a README at the top of a source
tree.  Third, people hate writing docs to tell other people how to do
stuff, but everybody's gotta actually do that in their project trees.
This is another aspect of laziness; if I had a generic CMake
installation doc I could just drop into my project, I'd probably let the
poor Chicken Scheme slobs figure the rest out for themselvs.  Ergo the
popularity of the GNU Autoconf INSTALL document.  Fourth, it's
advertizing.  We're trying to promote; getting other people to spend a
few bytes of storage so that CMake is promoted is pretty much our
agenda.  We'd like it to be as easy as possible for people to run into
info about CMake; we'd like it to be widespread.  For this objective,
redundancy doesn't hurt.

I will draft some kind of CMake-Install.txt, using the cmake.org docs
and the GNU Autoconf INSTALL as source material.  If you guys would be
so kind as to debate the best name for such a document...

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
I won't spend more than 1 day configuring 1 thing.