[CMake-Promote] Usage Statistics

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 15:36:59 EST 2005

Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva wrote:

> While reading about the google searches for finding CMake
> users/blogs/etc, I just started thinking that it might be a good idea
> to quantify the results of this effort. What I mean is that statistics
> should be gathered on how usage of CMake increases, which communities
> are using it, and why?
>
> I know this is easier said than done. I suppose that things like
> downloads per time interval can probably be easily obtained, but other
> things might be harder.

It would be best to survey the extant "What's popular?" websites that
already implement such metrics for various technologies.  For instance,
there are a few for programming languages.  If we're lucky, maybe all we
have to do is get CMake listed somewhere on the web crawls, and then
mirror the results.

The invasive suggestions below are not necessary to the exercise of
collecting CMake statistics:

> Of course, having a registration process for download and/or use would
> give useful feedback, but then CMake would become the enemy ;) At
> least, I would probably not have downloaded and used CMake if that was
> a requirement.

Yeah, that idea is DOA.

> However, maybe an optional and simple query for *non-personal*
> information before the download like:
>
> -How did you hear about us?
> -How are you planning to use CMake?
> -...

No.  This is DOA.  Recall the legions of hardcore Techie Unix Autoconf
users you'd like to have give CMake a chance.  They won't if you put any
such thing in their way.  They will actively hate you.  The right place
to put this kind of thing is in an "About..." or "cmake.org" contact
button within CMakeSetup, and maybe in CCmake although I'm not sure of
Unix conventions and sensibilities here.  Anyways, if the user wants to
bug you, they'll push the button.

> Well, this is more of a brainstorming than a proposal, since I don't
> feel entirely comfortable with even this type of query and I think
> most Techies wouldn't like it. It kind of gives the look of a
> "marketing/commercial" effort...

"Negative Marketing" is entirely possible to achieve, if one is not
careful and conscientious about one's approaches.  That is, people
consuming less of a product than they would have, if one hadn't opened
one's mouth to begin with.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur