[CMake-Promote] First order of business.

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 20:32:27 EST 2005

Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva wrote:

> 3. I guess the "who do we promote it to" determines the how and where...

At this time, the best people to contact are those who already use
CMake.  I think we are in a "resources solicitation" stage, i.e. seeing
what various people can do, what contacts they have, what ideas, what
inroads.  We should craft some semblance of an agenda or mission
statement, make some tentative plans, and announce CMake-Promote on
various developer lists that use CMake.  Also places that deal with
build tools in general, like comp.software.config-mgmt.

Then, with luck, more people show up, and we will begin all over again.
:-)  Everyone has to figure everything out for himself, and repetition
is the key to all learning.  But, we'll have more people.  We'll also
stand a greater statistical chance of synergy and people stepping up to
do real work.  Of course we may also go up a learning curve about
interpersonal dynamics, depending on who comes.  Hopefully people figure
out some kind of productive workflow.

Once we've picked the "low hanging fruit" of people who are already in
the CMake fold, we can work on extending the fold.  These activities can
overlap, but we should be sure to focus on recruiting people initially.

We'll need to divide up responsibility for contacting various mailing
lists.  If there is, or can be, any automagical way to do it all at the
push of a button, that would be great.  But, usually that isn't the
case.  Also I imagine every mailing list contact would be benefitted by
a living, breathing human being following up on it.  I do think
CMake-Promote will be an organization of people, a network, so this is a
groundwork we want to lay.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
When no one else sells courage, supply and demand take hold.