[cmake-developers] Fwd: [CMake] cmake-gui on windows and qt5 dlls

Konstantin Podsvirov konstantin at podsvirov.pro
Wed Aug 16 14:42:20 EDT 2017

15.08.2017, 17:39, "Brad King" <brad.king at kitware.com>:
> On 08/14/2017 04:22 PM, Konstantin Podsvirov wrote:
>>>
>>>  Git splits it between bin/ and cmd/ where cmd/ is meant to be in PATH.
>>>  Then the structure doesn't need to change either.
>>
>>  +1 Add script (.bat) to `cmd` subfolder to invoke tools from `bin`
>>  on Windows (and add to PATH variable if needed).
>
> One could move `cmake-gui.exe` and `*.dll` files to some other out-of-the-way
> location and then have `bin/cmake-gui.exe` be a launcher that sets up the
> environment and runs the real `cmake-gui.exe`.

Brad, let me disagree with you.

Real CMake's tools (cmake, ctest, cpack, ccmake, cmake-gui) have always been in the `bin` subfolder, and this suits many.

This is also not a problem on Windows for such projects as
msys2: http://www.msys2.org
 and my DaD's House: https://dad.podsvirov.pro/house
These projects use a single environment for both building user projects and for building development tools.

It seems to me that using the git experience on Windows will be more correct:
1. Tools in `bin` subfolder (with depends and dll)
2. Launcher apps or scripts in `cmd` subfolder.

It still seems to me that we do not need to create launcher apps, but just use a simple script like:

run/cmake-gui.bat:
>@rem Distributed under the OSI-approved BSD 3-Clause License.  See accompanying
>@rem file Copyright.txt or https://cmake.org/licensing for details.
>
>@rem Launch cmake-gui
>@start "cmake-gui" "%~dp0\..\bin\cmake-gui.exe" %*

Craig Scott, can you test this script? :-)

> -Brad

Regards,
Konstantin Podsvirov